Tuesday, May 09, 2006

May 16th Agenda Is Up

Click here.

Salaries will probably be the most controversial.

I do not agree with some members who may try to not increase only one positions's salary. It is unfair to punish one person you disagree with in this method. In my opinion, it is a politically elected position - if you disagree with the performance, run someone against and take the position. By cutting one position you are punishing future people for the current person's percieved failings. You really need to keep personalities out of this. In my opinion, it is all or nothing for these positions.

Whether to appoint/hire a new Court Commissioner may have discussion as well. My initial thoughts on this are here. I spoke with Karen Seifert about this last night, and still am predisposed to filling this position. It is a public safety issue for me. That is the last place you cut. I will try to get the study/letter/lobbying piece I recieved from the Winnebago County judges on this posted before the discussion. It was pretty enlightening.

I am going to find out more about the voting machines before the meeting and, if needed, will add an amendment to require a paper record ability for any machine purchased.

I would like to see the specifics of the Castle-Pierce contract and bid process as well.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are your questions about the Castle Pierce contract?

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I assume Mr. Norton will continue his vendetta against the sheriff and his department and try to limit his pay increase. Mr. Norton should stop listening to former disgruntled employees from the sheriffs dept. It is clouding his judgement.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Jef Hall said...

I am curious about the process. I have not yet approved a contract, so I want to learn some more about the process.

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With a 2% levy cap wouldn't it be irresponsible to give any county employee an increase of more than 2%? If you give them more than the 2% alowed you will have to take from other areas to make up the difference.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Ron said...

Jef,

I hope that you had a chance to take a serious look at the Diebold touch screen machines on the agenda. California and Pennsylvania have already issued security alerts based on recent information coming out about the weak computer security of this equipment. This would be the wrong time to invest in 49 machines that may be recalled due to their questionable performance and security standards.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Jef Hall said...

Ron,

I have copious notes and many questions to go over at the meeting.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home